When can I claim compensation?

You can claim compensation if you can prove that someone else is to blame for your accident. In most cases a personal injury claim must be brought within three years of the accident. If the accident was more than three years ago, you may be too late. In medical negligence cases, you will need to bring the claim within three years of the medical error or when you reasonably became aware of that error.

Do I have to pay you to represent me?

No. We may be able to act on your behalf under a Conditional Fee Agreement, sometimes known as a “no win-no fee agreement” or Legal Expenses Insurance.

This is discussed in more detail in our Fee Structure page here.

How long will my claim take?

A simple claim where responsibility is not disputed can take as little as four months. However, a claim normally takes approximately 9-12 months. In the event of complex issues or multiple injuries, it can take a number of years.

How will the investigation process work in processing my claim?

The process will begin by investigating the accident claim and advising whether it is likely to be successful. This may include conducting site visits and subsequently contacting witnesses or the police.

In a medical negligence claim, it will involve applying for copies of your medical notes and records and assessing whether or not an independent medical expert believes that there was an error (breach of duty) and that that error caused your injuries (causation).

We will also need to obtain a detailed medical report confirming the nature and extent of your injuries and whether you have suffered any long lasting effects or are likely to suffer in the future. We will then prepare a detailed schedule of all the expenses that you have incurred and establish how your injuries will affect your earning potential in the future.

How much compensation will I get?

This depends on the extent of your injuries which a medical report will help to assess. You can also claim for your financial losses arising from the injury. The longer your injury affects you and your ability to work, the higher the compensation.

If I am unable to work, how can I pay the bills?

If your employer stops paying you, then you should apply for state benefits. If the injury prevents you from working, you may also be able to claim loss of earnings. If there is no dispute about blame and if there is likely to be any delay, it is usually possible to obtain an advance payment of compensation before the final amount is agreed. This is known as an interim payment. Please speak to us about this so we can tell you exactly what documentation is needed to obtain an interim payment.

Can you visit me at home or in the hospital?

Yes, we can do this if you would like us to and you feel well enough to meet with us.

What about cases involving a child, infirm or mentally disabled person?

We will need to liaise with a parent or full-time carer.

Contact London Solicitors Goodge Law and Start Your Claim Online Today

If you have been in an accident or injured, please contact personal injury specialists Goodge Law today. You can phone Goodge Law on 020 7636 9222 or begin your claim online.